Choosing the right breed of cat for your family may seem like a daunting task, but with a little research, you can easily find the right match for your family. Your kitten, after all, may very well end up being part of your family for 15 years or more! It is important that you know a little bit about your cat or kitten before adopting her. You may simply end up adopting a domestic short hair or a mixed breed kitten from the animal shelter, but this decision should also be an informed decision.
You should ask yourself questions like:
- If you have children, is this a good breed for children?
- If you have a busy schedule, does this breed require lots of grooming time?
- If you have allergies, is there a good breed for allergy suffering feline fanciers?
- Is this breed more laid back or very active? Are YOU more laid back or very active?
- If you have other pets, is this breed tolerant of them?
The IAMS company has a “Cat Breed Selector” tool on their website that is interesting and fun! Something like this is a good place to begin:
You can also go to the Cat Fancier’s Association website and read the breed descriptions of every recognized breed in the CFA. There are also lots of pictures you can see so that you can choose a cat that you think is pretty, but of course, don’t let that be the only factor in your decision. This also helps if you’re thinking of adopting a cat from the shelter and are curious as to what type of mix the cat might be. A mixed breed will have some of the personality traits of whatever breeds it is mixed with.
The most popular breeds of cat are :
- Persian – Persians are very calm and laid back kittens, with the Himalayans (color points) being a bit more vocal. They require lots of grooming!
- Maine Coon – The Maine Coon is one of the largest of pet cats, and they are said to have a very dog-like personality and are known for games of fetch.
- Exotic – The Exotic has the personality of a Persian without all the grooming requirements.
- Siamese – The easily recognizable Siamese is a very intelligent, loyal, and vocal kitty.
- Abyssinian – Abyssinians love everyone they meet and are a very active and playful breed.
- Ragdoll – Ragdolls gained their popularity for going limp in your arms when you pick them up. They are so docile that it is dangerous to let them outdoors unattended. They are another very large breed!
- Birman – Birmans are said to adjust to their family’s routine as they are easily adaptable. They have long hair but are also very easy to groom.
- Oriental – The Oriental is very people-oriented, not as chatty as the Siamese but has the same great looks.
- American Shorthair – The American Shorthair is one of the best breeds around children. The most popular purebred American Shorthair is silver with black tabby striping.
- Tonkinese – The Tonkinese can be a strong-willed kitty, but they have such a fun personality that it makes up for it if you have the patience to train them properly. They are very loving, and grooming is practically carefree.
Many people give their cats access to the outdoors, if they live in an area where it is safe to do so. But if the cat owner does not want to be constantly opening doors for her cat, or for it to get stuck outside, a cat flap can be very useful.
What are Cat Doors or Cat Flaps?
A cat door is a small door which can be fitted into an existing back door. Cat flaps also exist for installing into windows. They can be bought at most pet shops, or on-line. A simple cat door allows a cat to come and go as it pleases. The door can be pushed open from either side by the cat, and it then closes magnetically, so keeping out drafts. Different types of cat door are available.
Four-Way Cat Flaps
Basic cat doors can be opened by the cat at any time, although some can be locked closed for those owners who want their cats to be kept in at night. However a 4-way cat door has a little lever which allows the door to open both ways, be closed both ways, allow the cat to go in only, or allow it to go out only. These are very useful if, for instance, the owner would like his or her cat to stay in once it has returned home, for instance at night.
Electronic or Electromagnetic Cat Doors
These cat doors will only let specific cats enter the property. They are programmed in response to a magnet on a specific collar which is worn by the cat, and will only open for the resident cats. They are very useful if local cats tend to follow the resident cats home, as they will keep out intruders.
Microchip Cat Flaps
There are now some new cat flaps which can be programmed to respond to the resident cats’ microchip, and will not allow intruder cats to enter the property. They are better than electronic cat doors, since they do not require the cat to wear a collar, which could inadvertently get lost.
Training a Cat to Use a Cat Door or Cat Flap
Most cats can be trained to use a cat door quite easily. Firstly the owner needs to prop the door open, then guide the cat through it. Once the cat realizes that it can go through the door, the owner can put some food on one side of it to persuade the cat to go through by itself, praising the cat when it manages to use the flap. When the cat understands that, the door can be closed, and the cat shown how to open it by pushing with its nose or paw. It’s not as easy as sprinkling catnip on your cat scratcher.
Cat doors or flaps are incredibly useful for both owners and cats. Any owner who has one fitted will be thanked a thousand times over by his or her cat.
Many people love to keep cats as pets at their homes. Mostly adults or kids are fond of keeping this animal as pet. There are also many advantages associated with cats as pets. Let us check out some of the common advantages of keeping cats at home.
How to take care of cats?
During the winter season, cats can be covered with woolen dress available for cats in the market. You also need to take care about your cats’ food and complete nutrition. Regular check up of the cat from the veterinary is also vital for the cats health. Vaccination of the cat is also vital.
A friend: Having an additional member at home such as cats is a great way to get the company of an animal. At times when you might feel bored, a cat can be a great companion. Cats can also understand what humans feel, so its a good choice to keep the cat at home.
Good for the kids: It is great to keep cats at home as pets for kids. When children are small, they learn a lot by keeping an animal at home. They understand the true meaning of sharing and loving another being.
Many times kids are also afraid of animals like dogs and cats, so if a child from the beginning is at home with a pet, drives away the fear from him.
A form of protection: There is unsaid feeling of protection associated with the home guarded by any kind of pet. Similarly if you have a cat at home, you kind of feel a protected environment at home.
Cats can be great companions at home for people and also create a lovely atmosphere at the house for all the members.